The summer season is host to a variety of events, vacations and activities that keep your family busy throughout the summer months. While these summer activities are lots of fun, they can wreak havoc on your bank account if you are not prepared. At Sunset Bank, we want you to enjoy summer without breaking the bank.
Wisconsin is home to a variety of family friendly, fun and inexpensive activities. Here are five tips to help keep you on your budget this summer:
- Take Advantage of Local Attractions – Farmer’s markets, museums and parks are just some of the fun and often inexpensive local attractions that you can check out in the summer. Also, your local library is an excellent resource to use as most libraries offer free membership as well as many free activities throughout the summer.
- Take a Staycation – A staycation is a vacation that you take right in your own home! A staycation can include taking time off of work, shutting of your cell phones and doing all of your family’s favorite activities while staying at home. A staycation is much easier on your wallet than taking a regular vacation.
- Neighborhood Cookouts – Take turns with your neighbors hosting a summer BBQ for dinner. At each grill out, have each family bring a side dish, drink, dessert or yard game. This is a great way to spread out the cost of dinner as well as offers socializing for you and your kids.
- Seek out the Freebies – When visiting attractions, staying in hotels or attending events this summer, take advantage of the freebies! This could include staying in a hotel that offers complimentary breakfast or trying free samples at the farmer’s market.
- Plan Ahead – Try planning ahead for the various summer events that you hope to attend. This could include adding a little extra to your emergency fund or creating a separate summer spending bank account. For example, start planning now for a wedding you are attending in August. Set aside the money you will need for gift, hotel or travel costs so you are not caught off guard when the wedding rolls around.
We hope you and your family have fun this summer and can avoid over-spending. Sunset Bank is here for any banking questions or needs you may have. Contact us or visit us today!