The new semester has begun and you are finally getting settled in your new college routine. But have you addressed your bank accounts since becoming a college student? Sunset Bank and Savings wants to help you make the most out of your college experience by having the bank accounts and services you need as a college student:
- Set up a checking account. Set up a basic checking account with a debit card. This is an easy and basic way to get introduced to banking responsibilities without having to worry about additional payments and bills.
- Track your spending. Once you have a checking account set up, understand how to balance your transactions and follow your accounts. It is much harder to know how much money you have if you use a card rather than cash, so it is important to track your checking account to prevent overspending.
- Understand check writing basics and how to pay bills. Depending on your living situation at college, you may need to make rent and/or utility payments. While many landlords and utility companies offer an online payment option, knowing how to write and send a check is still a very important skill to have. Making regular and on-time payments is the base of building good bill paying financial habits.
- Access online banking services. In today’s world, you are more likely to do your banking from your phone rather than physically going into the bank. You can access, make transfers and manage your accounts by utilizing Sunset Bank and Savings online and mobile banking services.
- Create a budget. At this point, your financial goals are probably to eat dinner tomorrow night and to pay for school. Take time to sit down and create a budget that can help you develop good financial habits and achieve your long-term financial goals, whatever they may be!
Sunset Bank and Savings hopes you have a great semester at college! If you have any questions about your account options, we are just a phone call away!
Sunset Bank & Savings
Equal Housing Lender