When you think “holidays,” plans for cookie baking, tree decorating, caroling, and gift wrapping probably pop into your head. For nearly 47 million Americans living in poverty, however, the word “holidays” likely inspires uncertainty and doubt. Job loss, medical complications, and unforeseen circumstances can make the most wonderful time of year a completely different landscape – but it doesn’t have to be. This season, begin a new tradition of giving with your family with these suggestions from Sunset Bank and Savings:
- Make food and dish it out- cookies and casseroles can be great gifts this time of year. You can provide them for those who don’t have the means or are short on food, as well firefighters, police officers and other public servants.
- Pack stockings for the homeless- pick out some cheap stockings and fill them with practical items. These can range from food and drink (granola bars, bottles of water, etc.) to gloves, socks and hygiene items.
- Donate old toys- kids’ toys and games can get pricey in a hurry. Purge your kids’ toys to donate to kids who aren’t as fortunate.
- Pay a visit to a local nursing home- the holidays can be tough times for elderly people living in nursing homes. A small visit or gift from a stranger could brighten their day, or even make their entire week.
- “Adopt” a family- there are many ways you can support families in our community. A food pantry would be a good place to start to find out about families in need and support them throughout the winter, the toughest time for families in need.
- Donate to a food bank- winter, especially in our area, is a difficult part of the year; it is far worse if you don’t have enough food. Food banks and food pantries could put your donation to good use.
- Have family members make a donation in your name- replace one thing on your Christmas list with the wish that in lieu of a present, a donation is made in your name to the charity of your choice.
The holidays are about hope and miracles. Give hope and be that miracle for a neighbor in need this month, and enjoy your holiday season knowing you’ve spread cheer a little farther.
Sunset Bank & Savings, Equal Housing Lender, Member FDIC