Do you want to save an extra $100 this month? It may be easier than you think! Most of us waste money on small purchases that add up and prevent us from saving. But saving $100 over the course of a month shouldn’t be that difficult; that’s only a little over $3 each day.
At Sunset Bank, we want to help you save as much as possible. Here are a few ways you can be smarter about your spending in order to pocket $100 this month.
- Keep lights off in unoccupied rooms, don’t leave water running and dress warmer so you can keep your thermostat at a lower temperature.
- Seal the cracks and gaps around doors, windows, attics, and the foundation so no cold air can get through.
- Program your thermostat a few degrees cooler during the day when you won’t be home.
- Plan your meals around ingredients you have in the house. This keeps you from overspending on items you don’t need at the grocery store.
- While you have the ingredients you bought for a specific meal, cook in bulk. You can ditch the kitchen for a couple days and eat leftovers.
- Check online or in your newspaper for weekly price inserts to compare prices between grocery stores to find the best deals.
- Challenge yourself to a no-spend weekend.
- Downgrade your cable package or eliminate it completely. Chances are that you don’t really watch all of the channels that a full package provides.
- Check for free community, college, and nonprofit events. This is a good way to get out of your comfort zone and meet some new people too.
Approach Money Differently
- Pay for everything with cash. Physically handing over cash has a deeper psychological impact, forcing you to prioritize your spending decisions.
- When using all of your cash, be sure to keep your change. At the end of the month, count up your change to see how much adds up.
Which of these tips can you put into action? Make it a challenge! Give them a try this month to see how much you can save. Just be sure to do something smart with whatever you save, such as putting it into your savings account, contributing to retirement or paying down debt. Stop in at Sunset Bank to let us know how it goes!